Destination Schuylkill River
Bike. Paddle. Discover. Explore.
Destination Schuylkill River (DSR) is a project of The Manayunk Development Corporation, funded by the William Penn Foundation. Destination Schuylkill River celebrates life along the Schuylkill River and seeks to connect our communities to the river through planning, programming, and projects. From trails and connections to public facilities, to sustainable environmental efforts, people are realizing the river matters. Partnerships are forming, volunteer groups are organizing, and the river is being transformed. What is there to do? How can you get involved? What is planned for this vibrant piece of history, culture, and recreation?
Manayunk Fall Equinox Fire
At 6:30 pm, we will be celebrating the coming of cooler, crisper days, bright leaves, the year’s harvest... all of the elements that make this season special.
Come join us and...
- Meet some local animals with the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education
- View a dozen multicolored fire pits floating in the canal
- Send up your wishes and hopes for the coming season*
- Join in a drum circle with Christine Campbell of WolfSongs**
- Watch two dances performed by Merge Dance Studio performers and choreographed by Christa Campbell of Merge Dance Studio
* Register at www.eventbrite.com for a wishing stick, which will be added to our floating fire pontoons during the lighting ceremony!
**Bring a drum or other percussion to participate!
CELEBRATE at the Manayunk Fall StrEAT Food Festival – and bring your kids to Recess!
Mark Your Calendar for Sunday, September 28th, 2014 from11AM-5PM
The Manayunk StrEAT Food Festival is kicking it up a notch! The fall festival will be bigger and better and we’re bringing it to the street. Main Street will now be closed to vehicle traffic and the festival will include new elements, including the Destination Schuylkill River-sponsored Recess!
Take a stroll along historic Main Street with your family and friends and taste everything from savory BBQ to sweet desserts from over 40 of Philadelphia’s best food trucks, purchase homemade oils, spices, and jams from the gourmet food vendors, and stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables at the farm stand.
Then, take a break from eating and visit Recess, which is a kid-friendly zone. Recess will be located at Canal View Park and will have dance classes, a live animal show, face painting, a moon bounce, and more throughout the day!
See below for the full Recess schedule:
- 11 am – 5 pm: Ongoing games - hula hooping, jump rope, sidewalk chalk, giant Twister, moon bounce obstacle course, and more
- 11 am – 4 pm: Face painting by artists from Peanutbutter
- 11 am – 12:30 pm: Live animal show and activity with naturalists from Wildlands Conservancy
- 11:30 am – 12 pm: Outdoor dance class for toddlers with Merge Dance Studio
- 12:30 pm – 1 pm: Outdoor dance class for school-age kids with Merge Dance Studio
TAKE A TRIP: Paddle through past, present, and future Manayunk
Do you love local history but don't love being stuck indoors? Are you interested in a more thought-provoking kayak trip? Save your morning on October 5...
Explore Manayunk like never before – in a kayak floating on the Schuylkill River. The river, once considered “dead,” has new economic and recreation vitality; it is the urban model for emerging towns and neighborhoods, incorporating history, art, food, retail and great housing stock…all located along the Schuylkill River.
This 2-hour tour will provide insights to the town's past as a manufacturing hub, the environmental impact, and how it has evolved into one of the most desirable neighborhoods in Philadelphia.
Learn about the role the Schuylkill Navigation played and why Manayunk factories were considered “hell on earth,” setting the stage for workers' unrest! Our local expert, Kay Sykora, will lead the tour, pointing out points of interest and providing the narrative.
The tour will begin with a short demonstration on techniques and safety. All participants are supplied with a personal floatation device.
The tour is sponsored by Pennsylvania Environmental Council's River Town Program. See www.eventbrite.com for more information and to register.
Cost: $20.00 per person / $10.00 for participants with own kayak
Dates: October 5
Time: 10:00 am
Place: Launch from the dock at Manayunk Brewing Company, 4120 Main St, Philadelphia, PA 19127